What makes you stand out in comparison to other music societies at Exeter?
- We’ve won ‘Best New Society’ in 2019 at the Guild awards.
- We’ve won ‘Society of the Year’ two years running in 2019 and 2020 at the Guild Awards.
- Being non-auditioned with no need to read music or have experience in a choir means that everyone is welcome – all we ask is that you enjoy singing or want to give it a go!
- Every year we fundraise for a charity of our members’ choice – last year we raised over £11k for Macmillan Cancer Support.
- We ended last year with 220 members, making us the largest music society on campus.
HOW ARE REHEARSALS WORKING RIGHT NOW?
We have been running virtually since April 2020 so we think we’ve got the hang of it pretty well! While we can’t sing in person right now, we have been doing lots of virtual events to keep our community connected – new faces and old!
As we can’t have in-person rehearsals, we have been running virtual choir projects. This involves our MD teaching us our parts online and then members recording their part to send in. We then stitch it together and although we can’t be together, it is lovely to see all our faces on a screen singing together!
I’ve never sung in a choir before, does this matter?
Not at all! There is no audition process and no requirement to read music – all we ask is that you enjoy singing or want to give it a go. Some of our members have sung in choirs before and others have never sung with a group until now! If you’re not sure which part you’d be best suited to then feel free to try a couple out and see what feels most comfortable.
How will I be able to meet or get to know new people at your events?
With our online events we always try to split into smaller groups so that you can still chat to people without there being lots of people talking over each-other. We also have a buddy scheme you can sign up to which will put you into a buddy group, and there will be Buddy Socials throughout the term! Finally, any in-person events we are able to run in the future will have the opportunity to chat and get to know new people.
I want to know more!
If you've got even more questions or can't find what you're looking for here then please do get in touch with us! You can send us a message on Facebook Messenger, drop us an email, or fill out this contact form, and we'll get back to you as soon as we can! Note that messages sent using these methods will be visible to the whole Committee.
You can also check out all of these other pages on our site too (trust us this'll keep you busy):